Visual Studio slows down and/or halts/hangs

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I'm running the Mvc3NestedModels solution with the latest source code (2.1).

When running the project it is very slow to load the register page (not so strange with all the scripts and abundance of controls on the page perhaps). I'm using Chrome by the way.

When I try to debug the serverside code and step-through VS becomes unresponsive for quite some time 30sec-2 minutes. Sometimes it also slows to a complete halt and hangs with full CPU utilization (1 core fully utilized so there it obviously isn't very multithreaded).

Whether I run in release of debug configuration doesn't matter.

Do you have any other demos where not everything is running on the same page?

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Edited Apr 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM

It is not a problem of everything in the page, slowdown are due essentially to javascript debug...that runs also in release mode. There are several js snippent in the page...and this drive the debug system crazy.

Just select in the debug menu "start without debugging." ...Now may be you would not like the fact that for each event it shows a window sayng the event took place...this was to show how to use  events.

Use this page...just to see the various functionalities and to "spy" the code associated with each of them ITS INTENDED PURPOSE IS JUST THIS!!!....DO NOT USE IT AS A STARTING POINT FOR A PROJECT.....It is not an example of a good architecture....it do nothing that make sense!!

The download area is full of "toy application" that you can use as starting points for your projects. The best way to select the right one is to follows the tutorials. Each sample of code is referenced by a tutorial...so just choose a tutorial that may interest you and download its code...

Tutorial list is here:  http://mvccontrolstoolkit.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Tutorials

We are preparing a web site that will show each control in a different page with all its options (similar to the jQUery UI web Site)...however it will not be ready before than 2-3 months